NASHVILLE – Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) is now accepting applications for its 2011 Humana Communities Benefit grant through its web site – Humana.com/HCB. This is the second consecutive year the health and benefits company will award at least $100,000 to Nashville nonprofits working to improve the well-being of the city and its surrounding neighborhoods.
Last year’s winner – Oasis Center – enhanced its Bike Workshop and Fitness program for low-income youth. The Workshop trains young people to rebuild and maintain bicycles and promotes bicycling use and safety. With the funds from Humana, Oasis Center renovated the Workshop space and launched a mobile Bike Workshop to take into the most at-risk areas of Nashville.
“It’s exciting to see Oasis Center transform with our grant,” said C. Evans Looney, president of Humana in Tennessee and North Mississippi. “Most rewarding is the fact that they are expanding a program that’s going to improve the well-being of our community for years to come. This year, I hope we can find another organization that shares our broad view of well-being. It begins when we’re children and extends through our adulthood; it is physical, mental, emotional and social.”
Humana Communities Benefit is open to 501(c)(3) organizations located in Nashville working in the following areas:
- Childhood health and education – Projects or initiatives that seek to improve health and academic achievement of children through the educational landscape.
- Family wellness and active lifestyles – Projects or initiatives that strengthen the health of families through physical, social, mental, emotional, or environmental support.
- Health literacy for diverse populations and seniors – Projects or initiatives dedicated to improving people’s ability to access, understand, and use health information, especially low-income populations, and seniors.
Applications for this year’s grant are being accepted from eligible nonprofits until July 29, 2011. A panel of local judges, comprised of community leaders, public officials and business representatives, will work with Humana to select the $100,000 honoree.
Nashville charities are encouraged to visit Humana.com/HCB to review program guidelines and apply for this year’s grant. Questions can also be directed to Humana by calling 615-221-2155, extension 1030660 or by emailing [email protected].
About Humana Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information.