Holly Fletcher | The Tennessean
The Nashville Health Care Council is delving into innovation, consumerism and retail health care for its 2016 Council Fellows, which is stitching together a diverse collection leaders from around the city’s health care community.
The roster of Fellows is geared to get leaders from various, and sometimes isolated, corners of the health care industry for a series of seminars on challenges facing the industry.
For the first time, it includes a representative from a retail-clinic operator and a pharmaceutical leader. Vic Gatto, the CEO of Nashville’s Jumpstart Foundry is also a fellow.
“It’s really important this year that we have a diverse class. We wanted to include (Gatto) because it’s important to have that connection to the entrepreneurs,” said Hayley Hovious, president of the Nashville Health Care Council.
Fellows will dig into how changes in employer-sponsored plans are helping to turn patients into consumers of health care, as well as the how the Affordable Care Act continues to impact the regulatory side of the sector, Hovious said.
The Council accepted 30 Fellows, half of the applicants to the program, to create a smaller class by design than in previous years.
There were 36 Fellows in 2015; 32 in 2014 and 33 in 2013. The Fellows Program is headed by former Sen. Bill Frist and Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management health care and economics professor Larry Van Horn.
The Council is trying to keep alumni of the program engaged and is now getting former fellows involved in special projects that focus on innovation and health — in line with Frist’s Nashville Health initiative.
Members of the 2016 Fellows:
• Tim Bewley, First Vice President, SunTrust Bank
• Hamilton Bowman, COO, EnableComp
• Barbara Brennan, COO and Chief Nursing Officer, Alive Hospice
• Denise Burke, Partner, Waller
• Dr. Chip Chambers, Senior Medical Director, Cigna-HealthSpring
• Dr. Sam Chang, Professor of Urologic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
• Mike Coggin, Senior Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer, LifePoint Health
• Dr. Jana Dreyzehner, Behavioral Health Medical Director, Amerigroup TN
• Mike Duffy, President, Hospital Solutions and Global Supply Chain, Cardinal Health
• Aaron Gani, Enterprise Vice President – Innovation, Humana
• Vic Gatto, CEO, Jumpstart Foundry
• Aron Goldfeld, Vice President, Advocacy and Regulatory Affairs, TeamHealth
• Tammy Hawes, CEO and Founder, Virsys12
• Shannon Hooper, Senior Vice President and Practice Leader, ReviveHealth
• Eric Keen, General Partner, Council Capital
• Daniel Lieber, COO, Altegra Health
• Brian Marger, COO, TriStar Centennial Medical Center
• Dr. Ricardo Martinez, Chief Medical Officer, North Highland Worldwide
• John McClellan, Vice President – Operations, Division 5, Community Health Systems
• Michele Molden, Senior Vice President and Partner, The Advisory Board Company
• Dr. Neal Patel, Chief Medical Informatics Officer, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
• Amy Rock, Senior Director, Regulatory and Scientific Affairs, Cumberland Pharmaceuticals
• Matthew Russell, Chief Technology Officer, Digital Reasoning
• A. Dexter Samuels, Ph.D., Senior Vice President and Executive Director, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for Health Policy, Meharry Medical College
• Mark Thompson, Vice President, Operations Finance, Healthways
• Mike Uchrin, CEO, Health Choice
• Dr. Marc Watkins, Vice President and Corporate Medical Director, The Little Clinic
• Dr. Morgan Wills, President and CEO, Siloam Family Health Center
• Dakasha Winton, Director, Associate General Counsel State Government Relations, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
• Chris Wyatt, CFO – HCA Information Technology and Services, HCA