Holly Fletcher | The Tennessean
Top leaders of Vanderbilt University Medical Center and HCA will take the reins of the Nashville Health Care Council’s board for the next two years.
Dr. C. Wright Pinson, deputy CEO of VUMC, will serve as chairman of the board for two years. R. Milton Johnson, chairman and CEO of HCA, will serve as vice chair for two years, succeeding Pinson.
The board, which consists of 28 members plus the chair and vice chair, steers Nashville Health Care Council, an industry association that is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. William Gracey, the former CEO of BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, is the outgoing chair.
Board members are a who’s who of the region’s health care industry, bringing together the CEOs of the area’s rival hospital operating companies and health systems alongside various leaders of law firms, banking, academic institutions, insurance and technology companies. The board works with the council’s staff to engage and connect the local industry with each other as well as highlight the region’s health care sector.
The diversity and commitment of the board is a benefit for the council, which has corporate membership nearing 300 and strives to highlight the city’s deep experience in health care, Council President Hayley Hovious said.
Health care contributes $38.8 billion to the greater Nashville economy annually. In 2014, there were 249,345 people employed in the regional industry, which generates more than $70 billion globally in annual revenue.
New members on the 28-person board:
- James Bearden, CEO of Gresham, Smith and Partners
- Darrell Freeman, chairman and CEO of Zycron
- Jay Hardcastle, partner at Bradley Arant Boult Cummings
- Dr. James E.K. Hildreth, president and CEO of Meharry Medical College
- Allen Moseley, general partner at Noro-Moseley Partners
- Mike Musick, assurance office managing partner at BDO USA
- Vincent O’Leary, senior vice president of health care private banking at Brown Brothers Harriman
- Clay Richards, CEO of naviHealth
- Tammy Wolcott, CEO of W Squared
- Dr. Marc Watkins, chief medical officer of The Little Clinic
- Will Howorth, vice president of strategic business growth at HCA Urgent Care
Reach Holly Fletcher at 615-259-8287 or on Twitter @hollyfletcher.